The Founding of Beta Rho
The Beta Rho Chapter of Sigma Chi was chartered on November 2, 1917. Before this time, however, the Beta Rho Chapter of Sigma Chi was known as Delta Chi, which was founded in 1913. Shortly thereafter, Delta Chi became the Triangle X Club during the period in which the president of Montana State College forced fraternities off campus. The ruling of the “Purdue Case” provided the main impetus for the reversal of this policy, and the Triangle X Club was recognized once again on the MSC campus. Eventually by 1917, with a donation of $100,000 from Mr. Harvey P. Griffin, Missouri ’09, Delta Chi raised the needed capital and received a charter from Sigma Chi (the present chapter house was built in 1961). On November 3, 1917, The Bozeman Daily Chronicle published an article which contains a more in-depth account of the events leading up to the founding of Beta Rho and about the installation of the Beta Rho Chapter.